Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Together at last...

We finally did it! We bought Ryan a big boy bed (hooray for tax refunds)! So, now Ryan and Casey are officially roommates! I realize that Casey is 10 months old and we could have made the change a while ago, but this is just the way things worked out.

Ryan has made the transition quite well, and has enjoyed having Casey in his, wait, their room. On Sunday Tyler came home from church early with our sick boys and put them both down to nap in their room. He says that Casey was sleeping before Ryan went down. About 10 minutes after putting Ryan down, Tyler hears giggling over the monitor. He peeks in the room and Casey is running his bink over the bars and then throwing it out of the crib. Ryan giggles and gets the bink, gives it back to Casey (who giggles) and starts the process over again. Tyler watched this for a few minutes before deciding to grab the camera. As he started to record, the boys heard the beep and the magic was gone. Maybe we can catch them on camera next time.

We actually had the bed for a week before letting him sleep in it because we didn't have his bed rails yet. I would lay him on the bed and say it wasn't ready because he could fall off, then I'd roll him off the bed and catch him before he hit the floor (he thought that was pretty fun). So, every night at bedtime he would say "big boy bed not ready, Ryan fall off."
Funny Story: He was very excited about his trains, trucks, and airplane sheets and pillows. When he picked them out at the store and wouldn't let go of them. On the way home he was holding them while sitting in his car seat. When we were stopped at a red light, a very long red light, Ryan started saying "big boy bed, trains, airplane, trucks, yeah, look it." He does stuff like this a lot so I didn't think anything of it. Then I looked over at the car next to us, on the driver's side where Ryan's car seat is, and these two women, a mother and daughter, were laughing hysterically and keep looking in our back seat. It turns out that Ryan was showing these women his new sheets and telling them all about his big boy bed. He was holding them up to the window and pointing to all of the vehicles. Ryan waved goodbye when the light turned green and continued to tell us about his new train sheets.

I let Casey play in the crib a couple of times before actually letting him sleep there so the novelty wore off and he wouldn't be inclined/tempted to play instead of sleep. Our only problem is he likes to throw his bink out of the crib before he falls asleep, but he won't fall asleep without it. So, I have to sneak in and throw it back in. I tried putting in more than one, but that just means there are more on the floor in the end. It has definitely been nice for Tyler and I to have our room back, and actually turn a light on and talk in a normal voice before we go to bed.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

To get around that just start the video earlier & edit the beginning. So cute. We've watched the video of Casey 2 times now & Payton is patting me on the back to get me to do it again. Casey Payton Loves You!

jaime said...

So cute!! I miss you guys!