Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Soccer

We have finally jumped on the bandwagon. I'm officially a soccer Mom! Ryan was on a U6 team this year and had a blast. When we were asking him if he wanted to play soccer this year; we actually went online and showed him videos of youth soccer so we were sure he knew what we were talking about. (got that?) This year was pretty simple. 6 kids per team 1 practice a week and games on Saturdays. The games are 4 on 4, 4 quarters, 5 minutes each. The field is tiny- it could easily fit in our backyard.

Wording is crucial when it comes to coaching 5 year-olds. It's not "Be Aggressive," it's "Be the first to the ball." Ryan definitely got the hang of it and really enjoyed playing, especially since he loves to run.

Notice where the ball is and where Ryan is looking. I think I said "Ryan, where's the ball?" more times than I can count.
Tyler ended up being the Assistant Coach this year and had a good time. He said he was glad that he was one of the coaches because it gave him an excuse to run around and tell the boys what to do. Soccer is NOT a spectators sport for Tyler.

Ryan lounging during a water break.


Casey is always excited to be included in snack time. After he eats anything he holds his hands like that until he washes them.

Of course, Grandma and Granddad came out to watch a game.

Here's the whole team getting some pointers from Coach Kenny.

Ryan what is your favorite part about soccer?: "When I kick it someone and they kick it in the goal."- Ryan had a lot of assists this year and 1 goal.

No comments: